Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Bloom for the iPod/iPhone

Bloom is a looping music generator that creates stuff that sounds like Brian Eno's ambient music work -- which is because he was involved with the design of the software.

It creates looping music that you generate by tapping on the keyboard. It is, like other Brian Eno ambient music, bland but also intriguing. I was hoping for something more like Electroplankton, but it was an inevitable purchase for me anyway. The video demo is admittedly crummy, and you cannot really hear the complimentary audio bed the software plays along with your input, which you can vary between several presets. You can also adjust delay so that you can get some decent variations.

I wish that drag worked, but it does use multitouch. If I could use other voices, perhaps something not so ---- tinkly -- I would like it even better.

If you leave it alone it will begin to auto generate it's own music. A neat toy if nothing else.